Does anyone know of some publicly available papers or websites that have case studies on failed projects and cover why they failed. There is one case study in particular covering a failed project to build an oil refinery platform using "new streamlined engineering techniques" but it sank during deployment, but I can't remember the name of the project.
The refinery platform was from Petrobras as per the attached file.
In March 2001, a series of explosions sank Petrobras Platform 36.
• Leakage of volatile fluids burst a shut down emergency drain tank and set off a violent chain of events
• A corporate focus on cost-cutting over safety
• Poor design of individual parts with regards to a system safety context
• Component failure without sufficient backups
• Lack of training and communication
excerpt from NASA, System Failure Case Studies at pbma.nasa.gov (I tried to attach the pdf but didn't seem to work)