spacer.png, 0 kB
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Identifying the Validity of data generated by isolated speed measurment Radar/Lidar devices - aka Booked.

17 Nov 2015 16:19 Identifying the Validity of data generated by isolated speed measurment Radar/Lidar devices - aka Booked. #60

Currently In a situation defending a "red light speed" Ticket in NSW. I have been fortunate to act as an expert witness for the court in other "radar" related cases, so I am not a novice.

The issue that I have raised today with the court in my preliminary report goes to the heart of recognizing and then validating a system, as opposed to a default bureaucratic and thus legal viewpoint that a single system element is indeed a system, and once calibrated it is accurate forever.

I merely wish to put a small brake on the burgeoning nature of these systems, not overturn the road "safety" ideology.

Peer review please of my assertion "that an isolated system element can not be authoritative outside of its own domain."

--------------Extract from my preliminary report----------
Estimation of vehicle speed from an unknown system

5. No evidence has been provided which would allow capture of a system level description of operation.

6. Similarly, no analysis of the system behavior at the interfaces of the involved elements can proceed.

“Validation determines that a system does all the things it should and does not do what it should not do.”
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook 4.8.2.1

7. For each system element the verification process provides a description of the simulation model used to establish calibration and system element integration with external calibration controls.

8. A further verification process describes the integration of the system measuring elements and the algorithms used to identify, measure, recognize and compensate for failure of a measurement system element, or the total system.

9. In my opinion, It would be reckless to allow a single isolated system element to be authoritative on a measurement outside of its own domain. Similarly, a measuring system would be unreliable if its limitations were not identified and acknowledged.

----------------

05 Jul 2016 14:22 Re: Identifying the Validity of data generated by isolated speed measurment Radar/Lidar devices - aka Booked. #62

Update from the final day in court on 1July2016:

Two experts (the rms reluctantly provided one, and myself) concurred from the visual evidence, that the red light camera speed measurement system provided a reading with an error in excess of 25%. It was calibrated and operationally intact, and still produced this massive error.

The measuring sensor was not calibrated or even acknowledged as existing - initially. That is in all probability the source of the major errors.

The approach I held seems valid from an engineering perspective. The judicial decision has been reserved until late September2016.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds